Webbläsaren som du använder stöds inte av denna webbplats. Alla versioner av Internet Explorer stöds inte längre, av oss eller Microsoft (läs mer här: * https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoft-365/windows/end-of-ie-support).

Var god och använd en modern webbläsare för att ta del av denna webbplats, som t.ex. nyaste versioner av Edge, Chrome, Firefox eller Safari osv.

Erik Bengtsson . Foto

Erik Bengtsson

Universitetslektor

Erik Bengtsson . Foto

Long-run evolution of income inequality in the Nordic countries

Författare

  • Rolf Aaberge
  • Erik Bengtsson

Summary, in Swedish

This paper surveys Nordic historic studies on the distribution of income to highlight similarities and differences between Denmark, Finland, Norway, and Sweden in the evolution of income concentration and income inequality over more than 140 years. Our descriptive analysis allows for a decomposition where we identify the contribution of the income share of the richest 1 per cent and the distribution of income among the other 99 per cent to overall inequality as measured by the Gini coefficient. The results show that the evolution of income concentration and inequality can be characterised by episodes rather than by secular cycles, which means that the evolution can neither be summarised by Kuznets’ inverse U nor by a U. The evidence on the role played by the share of the top 1 per cent for overall income inequality shows to be mixed and to vary across time and countries.

Avdelning/ar

  • Ekonomisk-historiska institutionen
  • Tillväxt, teknologisk förändring och ojämlikhet

Publiceringsår

2023-10-26

Språk

Engelska

Publikation/Tidskrift/Serie

Scandinavian Economic History Review

Dokumenttyp

Artikel i tidskrift

Förlag

Routledge

Ämne

  • Economic History
  • Economics

Nyckelord

  • inequality
  • incomes
  • Scandinavia
  • D31
  • N33
  • N34
  • Inequality
  • incomes
  • Scandinavia

Aktiv

Epub

Projekt

  • The Swedish Transition to Equality: Income Inequality with New Micro Data, 1862–1970

ISBN/ISSN/Övrigt

  • ISSN: 0358-5522